2/11/18

Gathering Graces 2/10/2018

*I have been comparing what is happening in my life to what is happening to the plants in my yard and garden outside.  As the temperature dropped outside, and the plants and seeds came to a standstill, I felt that same way all morning.  I had wanted to get some work done in my office.  Instead, I got a lot of work done on the couch in a horizontal position.  But I was thinking about a lot of things.  So I may not have looked productive on the outside, but I think a lot of productivity was happening on the inside.
*As I look at the day overall, I did get some things done.  I worked on and wrote my weekly poem that I will share tomorrow.  I read up on doing some knew knitting projects, and worked on that some.  Throughout the day, every two hours, Paul and I took readings on Toby’s blood glucose levels to share with our veterinarian.   I listened to quite a few episodes of Revisionist History.  I learned why McDonald’s changed their French fry recipe back in 1990.  I listened to two stories about the lawyers who helped crack the colorlines of the Jim Crow South.  And an interview with songwriter Bobby Braddock, and the differences between what makes a good rock-n-roll song, and a good country song.
*Thank goodness Christy needed some help getting some things out of her basement after her successful purging.  Around 2 p.m., Paul, Bill and I arrived, went down to the basement, and broke down cardboard boxes and hauled garbage bags and other items upstairs to either be put in the pickup for a dump run, or put items in the garage or other rooms upstairs.  We all worked together and felt very accomplished.  (And it got me off the couch for an hour or so!!)
*I was hoping to attend the Wildcat boy’s basketball game tonight, and honor the seniors in both basketball and ROTC, but Paul had some business to do at the theater, and didn’t make it back in time, so we stayed home.  I had cooked a roast a few days ago, so I cut some of it up, toasted some sourdough rolls, made some au juis sauce, and had some delicious French Dip sandwiches and French fries for dinner when Paul got back home. 
*We both were in the mood to watch a movie, so I found one on Netflix called The Finest Hour.  Paul built a fire, and we settled in to watch the movie. I had never heard of this movie, but it looked like a good story. Paul and I enjoyed it, but it makes you not want to go out on the ocean in a boat for a while!!  Here is what the story is about:
On Feb. 18, 1952, a massive storm splits the SS Pendleton in two, trapping more than 30 sailors inside the tanker's sinking stern. Engineer Ray Sybert bravely takes charge to organize a strategy for his fellow survivors. As word of the disaster reaches the Coast Guard in Chatham, Mass., Chief Warrant Officer Daniel Cluff orders a daring rescue mission. Despite the ferocious weather, coxswain Bernie Webber takes three men on a lifeboat to try and save the crew against seemingly impossible odds.

No comments: