1/13/18

Gathering Graces 1/12/2018


*I enjoyed hosting book group today as we discussed You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me.  One member was not able to read the whole book, because of stories of how the author and his contemporaries were treated as Native Americans growing up.  In the book, Alexie often refers to the liberal white person wanting to save him.  I think that may have been part of our problem as a group of liberal white women reading this book.  We are horrified by the stories, want to fix it, but do not have the answers.  And know that many of the things he wrote about continue today.  I highly recommend this book, even though the subject matter is hard to read at times.  The writing is what kept me coming back.  When I started to read this book, there was an expectation on my part that it would be about him grieving the life of his mother, who had recently passed away.  Instead, I felt like it was a book about him grieving his Native American culture.  I challenge you to read the book, and you decide.
*The menu for today’s gathering was Indian Tacos.  Instead of using a tortilla like a traditional taco, you make Indian Fry Bread.  The recipe I followed instructed me to brown hamburger and add chili seasoning and kidney beans to the meat.  Then there was cheese, shredded iceberg lettuce, tomatoes and sour cream to go on top of the fry bread.  We also had a warm vegetable dish, canned pears and fruit with orange sherbet, and ice cream cake and brownies and ice cream for dessert.  It was a wonderful gathering.  If you are interested, the recipe I used is here for the Indian tacos.
*The last time I remember making Indian Fry Bread was in one of Molly’s grade school classes at Meridian Elementary.  Christy was teaching in a school on the Colville Indian Reservation.  We thought it would be fun to have Molly’s class and the same grade class at Christy’s school do a type of exchange throughout the year.  So they wrote letters to one another, and we found out one of their unique cultural foods was the Indian Fry Bread.  So I made it sometime during the school year for Molly’s classmates.  It was delicious then, and now that I have made it again, and realize how easy it is, I have to make it again.
*Today Paul and I spent every two hours checking our cat Toby’s blood glucose levels.  This requires poking him in the ear and drawing blood, and using a monitor to give you a reading.  We did that every two hours from 6:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.  Then we will share the results with our veterinarian, and see if Toby’s insulin needs to be adjusted.  Toby was a trooper throughout the whole ordeal.
*Paul and I started watching the movie Into the Wild last night, but I fell asleep, so we didn’t finish it.  So we will try again tomorrow.  But we did watch the next episode of The Crown, which was very good.

No comments: