3/5/17

Gathering Graces 3/4/2017

*Today I spent the day at Coeur d’Alene Charter School judging the district speech competition.  Paul is the Speech Coach at Kellogg High School, and he had ten students participating in the competition.  I got to judge Improvisation, Oratorical Analysis, Original Oratory and Panel Discussion.  I love listening to high school students speak on topics they are passionate about.  It was a good day.
*While at the competition, I was able to see and visit with Phletha Donean Wynn, Kenzie Sherman Lewis and Andrea Peirano.  Phletha did a summer melodrama with us, Kenzie is from Kellogg, and used to teach at KHS, and now is the Speech Coach at Post Falls High School, and Andrea is the mother of the one of Paul’s speech students.  I also had a nice time visiting with another judge who is from Coeur d’Alene, but attends the University of Idaho and is a Natural Resources major.  He will be graduating this spring and he works for the Bureau of Land Management fighting fires, and plans to continue doing that once he graduates. 
*Out of the ten competitors, Paul will be taking four of them to the State Speech Competition in Jerome in April.   Savannah Hartenfels will participate in Serious Intrepretation, Jesse Campbell and Sarah Beltz in Retold Story, and Numa Poche is an alternate in Humorous Interpretation.  I am so proud of these students, and all the others who participated, including Drake Duce, Stephanie J. Ivie, Jacob Camacho, Nikki Miller, Bruce Allred and Jordan Grubb.
*I had been wanting to try the Smoked Butterscotch Latte at Starbucks for a while, so I went through the Starbucks Drive-Thru by Costco to order one.  There was a vehicle in front of me with one woman in the car who took quite a while to place her order.  I placed my order, then pulled up behind her, and she must have been ordering for a large group because it took a while for her to get her order.  When I pulled up to the window, the barista gave me my drink and said it was free because of the long wait.  Woo-Hoo!!  I did enjoy the Smoked Butterscotch flavor, but I think next time I would put the flavoring in a different type of drink to taste more of the flavor.  I’ll be in Coeur d’Alene on Monday, so I may try the flavor in something else.
*Papa Murphy’s had a Family Size Herb Chicken Mediterranean Thin Crust pizza on special for $10, so I thought that would be the perfect thing to pick up for Paul and I to have for dinner once we both returned home.  I was right.  It was delicious!!  This pizza is topped with Olive Oil & Garlic, Herb Chicken, Spinach, Sun-dried Tomatoes, Feta, and Zesty Herbs.
*  My drive home over the Fourth of July pass was so nice with the roads dry and bare, and no snow or ice to worry about.  I love driving this stretch of road when the road conditions are good.  I was a little concerned when I was leaving Coeur d’Alene, and the sign was flashing that Lookout Pass was experience Winter Weather Conditions, and chains were required.  But no snow for me on the way home.  When I arrived in Kellogg, I could tell it had snowed throughout the day, and the new snow had remained on the trees about half way up the mountains.  But no new snow on the ground when I got home.

No comments: