3/1/17

Gathering Graces 2/28/2017

 
*The day started out like most other days during the week.  Around 5:50 a.m. Nikki picked me up and we drove to Kellogg High School to walk for about 35 minutes or so.  It had snowed all night, but when we arrived at KHS the parking lot was all plowed, and the clouds were clearing off.  Around 6:20 a.m., Mike, one of the maintenance guys said he just got the phone call, and school had been canceled because of the snow.  So I headed home for a snow day. 
*Today was Shrove Tuesday, also known as Pancake Tuesday.  This is the day before Ash Wednesday, which is the first day of Lent.  Some countries celebrate this day by consuming pancakes.  The expression “Shrove Tuesday” comes from the word shrive, meaning “absolve”.  Shrove Tuesday is observed by many Christians who “make a special point of self-examination, of considering what wrongs they need to repent, and what amendments of life or areas of spiritual growth they especially need to ask God’s help in dealing with”.  When I realized it was Pancake Tuesday, I told Paul I was going to make pancakes for dinner.  Then my friend Beverley posted about making pancakes as well, and shared a recipe for British pancakes that are more like crepes, where you put butter, brown sugar and lemon juice in them.  So that is what we did, and enjoyed this pancake feast for dinner.  Thanks Beverley for sharing!!
*We have had a Wii system for many years.  The purpose of this system in our house is to allow us to stream Netflix onto our television.  But occasionally we will use it to play games.  Our system broke last year, so I purchased a used one from one of my former Gear Up students, and found out it was the cord that wasn’t working.  We also purchased some new games when we got the system.  So I put the Wii Play disc in today, and Paul and I enjoyed some friendly Wii competition including table tennis, billiards, target shooting and laser hockey.
*After a two week break because of other commitments, Paul and I made it to Easter Cantata practice tonight.  It was really great singing once again, and being a part of a large community choir singing praises to God.  I look forward to the weeks ahead when I can attend practice more faithfully.

 

No comments: