1/21/17

Gathering Graces 1/20/2017

*Last fall I worked with 11 Kellogg High School students, helping them apply for the Horatio Alger Scholarship.  Today I found out two of the students that applied were selected to receive the Horatio Alger State Scholar Award.  They only give out six of these in the state of Idaho, and KHS received two of them.  These two students will receive $10,000, split up over their four years of college.  I am very proud of Avery Mace and Devin Hennig for receiving this award.  The rest of the students that applied still have the opportunity to be considered for the local Horatio Alger Scholarship.  I am so excited to see if any of them receive that one. 
*I watched the Inauguration of President Trump today.  If you know me, I am not a fan of President Trump.  But I am trying to keep an open mind.  I didn’t mind his speech he shared after the inauguration.  Why should it be like the speeches of the past?  One of the reason people voted for him is because he does things differently.  Why expect anything different on Inauguration Day?  We’ll see if he can make good on all he promises to do.  I hope he can be a voice for the people who have felt their concerns have not been heard.  I hope that, as some of my fellow brothers and sisters in Christ have shared, that God has seen something more to Donald Trump that me, a mere mortal.  I have seen this verse quoted by some,   “But the Lord said to Samuel, “Do not consider his appearance or his height, for I have rejected him. The Lord does not look at the things people look at. People look at the outward appearance, but the Lord looks at the heart.”  The Bible verse I keep thinking of whenever I hear him speak is Luke 6:45 that says “ A good man brings good things out of the good stored up in his heart, and an evil man brings evil things out of the evil stored up in his heart. For the mouth speaks what the heart is full of. “  Again, only time will tell.  You are in my prayers, President Trump, and I pray God gives you  love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness, faithfulness, gentleness and self-control.  Against such things, there is no law.
*Something I was dreading and fearful to do today ended up turning out okay.  Isn’t that how it usually is?  We think something is going to be so horrible, and we psyche ourselves up for no reason, and it ends up being okay.  Just like one of my daughters who called me the other day about calling her bank.  (all three of my daughters hate making phone calls, so this story could really be about any of them.)  She put off calling the bank since last spring I think it was, maybe longer, about being able to access her account online.  Well, she finally did it this week, and it wasn’t as bad as she imagined.  The lady who helped was very nice, and it all went very well, and she can now access her bank account online to see how much money is in her account. 

No comments: