8/22/14

There's Some Good In This World, Mr. Frodo

 
Frodo:  I can't do this Sam.
Sam:  I know.  It's all wrong.  By rights we shouldn't even be here.  But we are. It's like in the great stories Mr. Frodo, the ones that really mattered. Full of darkness and danger they were, and sometimes you didn't want to know the end because how could the end be happy? How could the world go back to the way it was when so much bad had happened? But in the end it's only a passing thing this shadow, even darkness must pass. A new day will come, and when the sun shines it'll shine out the clearer. Those were the stories that stayed with you, that meant something even if you were too small to understand why. But I think Mr. Frodo, I do understand, I know now folk in those stories had lots of chances of turning back, only they didn't. They kept going because they were holding on to something.
Frodo: What are we holding onto, Sam?
Sam: That there's some good in the world, Mr. Frodo, and it's worth fighting for.
At the University of Idaho Convocation on Friday, the guest speaker was Samwise Gamgee, otherwise known as actor/director/producer Sean Astin.  Sean's mother, Patty Duke lives in nearby Coeur d'Alene, Idaho.
His parting words for the U of I Freshman class of 2018 was the above speech.  Astin played the role of Samwise Gamgee in all three films of the Lord of the Rings trilogy movies.  This speech was added to the second film, The Two Towers, after what occurred on September 11, 2001. 
Some of the things he challenged the freshmen students to do is:

 
Cultivate friendships and loyalty
Choose friendship
Challenge your belief system
Become a more profound thinker.
And then, after sharing this speech from above, he gave his final challenge to the students:
"There is some good in this world and it is worth fighting for.....go out and do some good in this world."
I hadn't been too emotional, but I admit, the next part of the convocation had me shedding some tears.
After Astin was done speaking, the University of Idaho Marching Band came out and there was Cosette right in front, playing the cymbals.  The band stops, gets into position, and you hear the low rumble of the first few notes of the Idaho Fight Song.  As the crowd stood, the tears started flowing,
It is very emotional having your daughter attend the same college you did.
It is also very emotional seeing her performing in the band, a band you performed in while a student at the University of Idaho.
The emotions really welled up inside of me, and started flowing down my cheeks.
It was a beautiful Convocation.  It was a beautiful day spending it with Coco.
 
I also got to spend some time with one of my college friends Janet whose son is also starting U of I this fall.
 
And I ran into Matt Frasier, one of the students I worked with at KHS, and fellow actor on both stage and film.
It was a wonderful day, and a great way to say "goodbye" to our youngest as she begins this next phase in her life.  I know she will do great, and God will guide her every step of the way!!
 
Bless you, Coco!!
I-D-A-H-O...............
IDAHO, IDAHO....GO! GO! GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!


 
 

No comments: