5/5/14

People Pleaser

I think for the majority of my life, I have been a people pleaser.

And I think I know why I have been that way.

 Because I just took a survey on the 5 Love Languages, and one of my top Love Languages is "Words of Affirmation".

I think my motivation to please people is to receive "words of affirmation".

To me, that seems very selfish.  But I believe it is true.

But then I have been in a self-deprecating mood lately.  I haven't liked myself much this past week.

Every night when Charlie Brown and Lucy sing the song "The Doctor is In", I feel like I relate to Charlie Brown as he sings:

"I'm stupid, self-centered and moody,
I'm terribly dull to be with.
And nobody likes me, not (as I fill in the blank of people in my life).......

How, could there possibly be, one small person as thoroughly, totally, utterly, blah as me."

I think everyone has times of feeling like this....maybe not.  But I know I do.

And then, I feel selfish.

I think I have unrealistic expectations for myself.  And when I don't meet those expectations, or I try and please people, and I don't get the response I expect, then I get down on myself.

It is all my fault.  I'm not good enough.  I didn't do the right thing.



Yes, I feel like that sometimes.

It has been a worm-eating kind of week.


2 comments:

Diannah Fields-Brown said...

You are an amazing woman who inspires many! Thanks for all you do for this community and for our kids!

Nita Jo said...

I love you so much, and this post is proof of how much alike we are. I've been singing the "Worm Song" since I was a little kid, though now it's quietly in my head rather than tearfully singing out loud! Lol!