5/15/14

Forgiveness

I think I need to work on forgiveness.

I know this because of my gut reaction when certain things happen, and what I think about at the time.

If I have a negative reaction about something, it usually means I have a negative reaction toward that person, because of a lack of forgiveness on my part.

In the sixth chapter of the Book of Luke in the Bible, Jesus says these words:

43 “For a good tree does not bear bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. 44 For every tree is known by its own fruit. For men do not gather figs from thorns, nor do they gather grapes from a bramble bush. 45 A good man out of the good treasure of his heart brings forth good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart[g] brings forth evil. For out of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaks."

My heart often has an abundance of things that I don't like lurking about in there, and then those awful thoughts come forth when I least expect it.  Because my heart is harboring feelings towards others, whether it be resentment or anger or jealousy, or a host of other things I don't want hanging out in there.  And the root of these feelings is the problem of forgiveness.

Forgiveness frees us to love our enemies, and pray for those who persecute us.

Forgiveness frees us to let go of those negative thoughts that bind us down.

It is good to be made aware of my thoughts and feelings, and to be made aware of the ill feelings I harbor toward others.

I pray that as I discover these feelings, that I quickly forgive those who I feel bad toward.

Then I will have the freedom to love freely those I come into contact with each and every day.

No comments: