5/10/14

A Baby Is Born x 3

On the eve of Mother's Day I am reminded of the three times that I gave birth to my children.

They were all very unique births.  In fact, my progression probably wouldn't happen now because of hospital and insurance policies the way they are with obstetrics.

As the year 1989 was coming to an end, I found out I was pregnant with my first child.

We were living in Glendive, Montana at the time.  We were very excited at the news.  We had been married for three years, and were ready to start a family.

My pregnancy went very well until the end.  I was due in August, and when July came, I was put on bedrest because of preeclampsia.  So I had three spots in our house I would hang out and rest.  The basement where I could play games on the computer.  The TV room, where I watched TV.  And the living room where I would read or visit with people.

As my due date of August 8 got closer, my doctor decided to try and induce the labor.  We only lived a block from the hospital, which proved to be very convenient.  On August 6th, I went to the hospital in the morning, and was hooked up to an IV drip of Pitocin.  All day.  And nothing happened.  No contractions.

On August 7th, I went to the hospital in the morning, and was hooked up to an IV drip of Pitocin.  All day.  And nothing happened.  No contractions.

On August 8th, I went to the hospital, and was hooked up to an IV drip of Pitocin.  All day.  Toward the end of the day, and into the evening, the baby's heartbeat started decelerating.  Not long after that, my doctor came in and said he was going to recommend I have a C-section.  Before you know it I was being prepped for surgery, and being wheeled into the operating room.  A couple hours later, I awoke and found out I was the mother of a beautiful baby girl.  We named her Molly Jessica.  And she was all right.

In 1991, we left Glendive, and moved to Meridian, Idaho.  My doctor was in Nampa, so when I was pregnant with the next baby, I would have the baby at Mercy Medical Center in Nampa.  At that time, in 1994, my doctor's philosophy was to have the next child naturally, even though I had had a C-Section.  He thought this would be the best way to go.  But he didn't want me going past my due date.  So on July 15, 1994, I showed up that morning at the hospital, and was hooked up to an IV drip of Pitocin.  This time my body responded.  This time I felt contractions.  Boy did I feel contractions.  Around 6 p.m. that evening, Miss Zoe Mary Patricia was born.

The following year, I remember trying on dresses for Easter, and being surprised that nothing fit correctly.  Then I remember lying on my bed one night, and feeling something.  I took a pregnancy test.  To my surprise, it was positive.  I had an appointment with my doctor.  I was about quite a ways along.  Now I understood why nothing was fitting when looking for an Easter dress.  On Labor Day, 1995, I finally went into labor all on my own.  Without the help of Pitocin.  It was about 10:30 p.m., and I was putting Zoe to bed in her crib.  She had just turned one in July.  All of a sudden, I was in a lot of pain.  I told Paul to call his mom, because I think it was time to go to the hospital.  My mother-in-law Pat arrived, and off we drove to the hospital.  We got there around 11 a.m.  Around 1:30 a.m., on September 5, 1995, Cosette Laurie Christine Roberts was born.  All on her own.  With no help from any Pitocin.  And she was the quickest and easiest birth of the three.  I wasn't even in the hospital 24 hours.  I was back home in Meridian the next morning by 11 a.m.

Three very different birth experiences for three very different daughters. 

Thank you, girls, for making it possible to be a mother.

And thank you for being the beautiful girls you are in my life.

I am truly blessed beyond measure.

 

No comments: