3/20/14

Dancing

When the AC/DC song "Shook Me All Night Long" started playing tonight at Kellogg High School, I was transported to another time, but the same place.

The other time was between the fall of 1978 and the spring of 1981, when I was a student at Kellogg High School.

The same place was the Kellogg High School cafeteria, the sight of many high school dances I attended as a student at KHS. 

I was in the KHS Cafeteria tonight, listening to "Shook Me All Night Long", because I was chaperoning the Spring Fling, the dance the Leadership class at KHS was sponsoring tonight to help raise money for the American Cancer Society.

It is very interesting watching students at a dance.  At first, they all huddle together in groups, with people they are comfortable with.  Then the "Cha Cha Slide" song comes on, which involves getting in lines and all dancing the same motions to the song.  My daughter Coco is at the front, leading the way.

Tonight was a pretty easy chaperoning gig.  The students there were all behaving.  There was one couple out on the floor we kind of had to watch, but it wasn't bad.

I love the variety of music kids will dance to these days.  From country to Miley Cyrus' "Wrecking Ball", and, again, taking it back to the 70's dancing to The Village People's :YMCA".

I probably attended numerous dances in the KHS cafeteria when I was a student there, but I have a very vivid memory of dancing with Tony Arnold at one dance to the song "Brick House" by The Commodores.  I think because he always went down on a knee when they sang the words brick house.  Don't ask me why I remember that, but I do.

I know I attended quite a few dances with the guy I dated throughout high school, from the end of my sophomore year, to the beginning of my senior year, but I don't have any memories of dancing with him at any dances.  But I know we went, because I have some photographs taken at the dance that proves it.

Who would have thought, 33 years after I left high school, that I would be one of those chaperones at the dance.  But there Paul and I were, standing against the wall, walking around the dance floor, making sure everyone is behaving themselves and acting appropriately. 

But it is fun to watch the dance.....the social interactions....the social hierarchy on the dance floor...and for a brief moment get a glimpse into the lives of the KHS teen.

Dancing....


No comments: