4/3/09

Even Moms Dream of Being a Princess

Today my sister IEG and I had an outing in Kellogg, going to Josie's Full of Beans uptown for some coffee, then shopping at the local second hand stores.

We started out at Papa's Barn, then headed downtown to Cat Tales and St. Vinnies.

I hit the jackpot at St. Vinnies.

Since I am involved in our community theater, I am always on the lookout for clothes that would be good costumes or dresses I can wear in a performance.

I was lucky enough to find a Princess Dress at St. Vinnies today.



At least that is what it seems like. I tried it on, it fit perfectly, and it makes me feel like a little girl again, going through the pretty clothes in the closet upstairs at our house, and dressing up in my mom's pretty dresses.

I think that is part of the lure of the theater for me, the fact I get to dress up and become other people for a time.

So tonight, for just a few minutes, I was a Princess.

I tried to find a tiara, but I think it sits in a dorm room at NIC, where The Other Princess resides.


“...perhaps all the dragons of our lives are princesses who are only waiting to see us once beautiful and brave. Perhaps everything terrible is in its deepest being something helpless that wants help from us.”


--Rainer Maria Rilke

I love this "princess" quote by Rilke. I like it because it takes the focus off of ourselves, and onto how something bad in our lives can help us help others.

That is how the teachings of Christ tell us to live, isn't it?

In the book of 2 Corinthians, the Apostle Paul talks about an affliction he has dealt with, and how his power is made perfect in weakness. I think this is what the quote is talking about. When we are weak, and have hardships and bad things happen, then the grace of Christ can give us the strength we need to turn those dragons into beautiful princesses, and, through God's grace, we can make the situation beautiful by helping.

8
Three times I pleaded with the Lord to take it away from me. 9But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 10That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.

2 Corinthians 12:8-10 (New International Version)


Goodnight.

I'm off to slay some dragons.

8 comments:

Leahann said...

What a great find. If you need a tiara Kimmie has 11 of them I'm sure she could share. :)

Christy Woolum said...

Wow! You look gorgeous. I think there might be a tiara in the storage closet...wear knee pads and pack a lunch! lol

MarmiteToasty said...

Beautiful, you look beautiful, what a great find..

x

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

Leahann--Tell Kimmie I'll be over soon to borrow the tiara.

IEG--Thanks...I can't believe how well it fit. Now I just need a ball to go to or something.

MT---Thanks. It was a great find.

Nita Jo said...

You look so beautiful! Love your princess dress. All you need is your handsome prince to take you to the ball!!!

Oh, and the scripture you used was perfect for me today.

Hugs!
Anita

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

Thanks, Anita. I'll be praying about your upcoming eye surgery. I'm glad the scripture was an encouragement to you. Love ya!!

myrtle beached whale said...

I love community theatre, great fun, until it gets ruined by someone who actually envisions themselves as an actor or actress. That has happened here.

Carol Woolum Roberts said...

MBW--Yes we have a great time...and I hope no one takes themselves too seriously. We are having too much fun to do that!!!