2/3/09

My New Special Treat


Medjool Dates

Kind of exotic sounding, isn't it?

And I love them.

When we had our African Christmas Eve dinner, the dessert needed chopped dates, so I bought some at Costco.

They stayed on the counter, and I would nibble on them each day, because I could eat them on my Daniel Fast.

Here is a little history of the date.

Dates have been a Staple food of the Middle East for thousands of years. They are believed to have originated around the Persian Gulf, and have been cultivated since ancient times from Mesopotamia to prehistoric Egypt, possibly as early as 4000 BCE. There is archaeological evidence of date cultivation in eastern Arabia in 6000 BCE (Alvarez-Mon 2006).

In later times, Arabs spread dates around South East Asia, northern Africa, and Spain. Dates were introduced into Mexico and California by the Spaniards by 1765, around Mission San Ignacio.

If you are craving a healthy, sweet, exotic snack, I would suggest buying some fresh dates to snack on. Yum! Yum!

No comments: