12/8/08

God Bless Us, Every One

I'm sure when Charles Dickens novella "A Christmas Carol" was published in 1843, he had no way no comprehend the enormous popularity this story would have around the world.

This story has been adapted into plays, opera, movies, cartoons, television shows, and radio specials. It has been parodied and sequeled. Ebenezer Scrooge is as much a Christmas symbol as Santa Claus himself.

Some of the versions of "A Christmas Carol" I am familiar with include "Mickey's Christmas Carol", "Scrooged", and Albert Finney's "A Christmas Carol" movie.

One version I would have loved to see when he was performing it was Patrick Stewart doing a one man reading/acting of the story, what he performed on Broadway in 1991, 1993, 1995 and 2001.

But the one that is a Christmas tradition in our family is "The Muppet Christmas Carol". This is one of the VHS movies we pull out each year and watch. Michael Caine does a wonderful job as Scrooge.

I think this version touches my heart, because I am a Muppet girl. I started watching "Sesame Street" on PBS when it first started, around 1969 or 1970, enjoying Kermit the Frog, Burt, Ernie and Big Bird. In high school, "The Muppet Show" was a popular variety show that I enjoyed watching. It ran from 1976 to 1981.

Here is one of the songs from "The Muppet Christmas Carol" that shares some of the true sentiments of the Christmas Season.


1 comment:

Christy Woolum said...

We begin reading the play in class tomorrow and the Muppets will be shown next week. The version I really like it the one with George C. Scott as Scrooge. I finally bought my own copy of that one last summer. I think I got it on our used book tour!